Sunday, October 27, 2013

Disability Awareness Day

I have had the privilege over the past month and a half to work with a student group on UNM campus.  The A.C.C.E.S.S. group (Accessible Campus Communities Equals Student Success) planned the Disability Awareness Day Event going on tomorrow, October 28th, on the University of NM Campus.  

I am a little embarrassed to say that I did not know this group existed while I was attending graduate school at UNM. I don't know that I would have been a part of the group at that time, but I'm so glad that I was able to participate in this event planning.  The members of the group are incredibly strong and capable individuals who promote access for EVERYONE: those with physical, mental, and learning disabilities, LGBT, and other underrepresented groups are a part of this advocacy.  

We will have several workshops at the event put on by organizations in Albuquerque and Santa Fe.  Tim Harris, of Tim's Place, will be the keynote speaker.  The theme of the event is: "Accessibility is for EVERYONE: Understanding 'Ableism,' Redefining Disability." 

This will also be the first event to promote The Graceful Art of Falling! Bookmarks will be handed out, and I will be participating in a student panel discussion about barriers and access for students with disabilities on campus.  Come join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment