Thursday, June 19, 2014

My On Again Off Again Relationship... With Food

For as long as I can remember I have been a picky eater.  I have gotten a lot better about eating more diverse foods.  Unfortunately, I also have several food intolerances.  About five years ago, I was first tested for food issues.  I was having a lot of trouble with foods, mainly being nauseous every day.  I was living in Boston at the time, and on my way to the work in the morning, on the T, I would be looking for the exits in case I needed to get off to throw up.  I found out that I was severely intolerant to apples.. and at the time I was eating an apple everyday (an apple a day is supposed to keep the doctor away).
 
I have been told by several naturopathic doctors that my food intolerances are related to my MD.  Something about the MD starting as a virus, then your body can't fight it anymore, so it sort of goes behind the scenes and other things (like food issues) show up a lot.  I don't understand kinesiology as much as I wish I did, but my body always seems to respond well to the supplements given to me from the testing.  So I usually believe what they tell me.

Just last week I went to a new kinesiologist and found out that I am having issues with food again. I went back into a small depression about eating.  I went through this before.  I get told all these things I "shouldn't" eat, and at some point it's like... what else is there?  If I didn't have to eat, I probably wouldn't.  Because the truth is, most food makes me feel bad- tired, stomach aches, even stuffy nose and head congestion.  It's more like a chore.

Once again I have to figure out what I can't eat, what I shouldn't eat very often, and what is okay to eat as much as I want.  And then, I have to really pay attention to what I'm eating.  It's exhausting.  My relationship with food is rocky, but I try to eat as well as possible in the hopes that I can feel as good as I can, despite my chronic illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment